James Thackara, attr. “A View of the New Market from the Corner of Shippen & Second-Streets Philad’a. 1787.” From Columbian Magazine.
Philadelphia, . Re-strike on wove paper most likely published by Desilver, ca. 1840s. 3 3/4 x 6 5/8 (image). Engraving by James Thackara. Vertical and horizontal folds. Else, good condition. Fielding 1569; Snyder 6: 116. Listed in Snyder, Mirror of America, item 551. A/A
One of the new formats of publishing that appeared in America shortly after the Revolution was the illustrated magazine. Publications of this type were intended to emulate the success of similar ventures in England, including Gentleman’s Magazine and London Magazine. A number of the illustrations in these American magazines were views of Philadelphia and its surrounding countryside. These are amongst the earliest printed images of specific scenes in and around the city. The first American monthly magazine was the Columbian Magazine, which began publication in Philadelphia in 1787. This is an interesting view of New Market from the corner of Second and Shippen (now Bainbridge). Because of the extensive growth of Philadelphia, this market was opened in 1745 as a complement to the original market located along High Street (now Market). Thackara, a native of Philadelphia, was one of the publishers’, James Trenchard, assistant and son-in-law. In 1794 he formed a partnership with John Vallance and continued working in the city until 1848, at one time holding the post of curator for the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.