Charles Magnus. "Satterlee U.S.A. General Hospital, West Philadelphia".
Philadelphia: James D. Gay, 1864. 11 x 17 3/8. Chromolithograph. Prints of Philadelphia: 198. A/A
Situated close to much of the fighting, but itself a safe haven, Philadelphia became the main site of U.S. military hospitals during the Civil War. Two very large hospitals were established. The 4,000 bed Mower Hospital was located just outside Chestnut Hill, near the current site of the Wyndmoor train station. The 4,500 bed Satterlee Hospital, initially called the West Philadelphia General Hospital, was located in an area bounded by present-day Baltimore Avenue and Pine, Forty-third and Forty-sixth Streets. This hospital was opened June 9, 1862, under the supervision of Dr. Isaac J. Hays. This bird's eye view shows the hospital comprised of long wards surrounded by a wooden stockade. Troop encampments are set up in the surrounding grounds and soldiers can be seen marching in a neighboring field. The Hospital for the Insane and other identifiable buildings are depicted in the distance.
Other Magnus Civil War: