William Croome. “A Pic-Nic On The Wissahickon. (Near Philadelphia.)”
Philadelphia: Graham’s Magazine, 1844. 4 ¾ x 7 (image). Engraving by Rawdon, Wright & Hatch. Hand color. Very good condition.
A colorful print of a group of people frolicking on the Wissahickon. The Act of Assembly of 1868 appropriated this rural valley, from the Falls of Schuylkill to Paul’s Mill Road, as part of the Fairmount Park system in Philadelphia. A road, currently called “Forbidden Drive,” was completed beside the Wissahickon Creek in 1857 and many mills and taverns stood along it. Most of these buildings were torn down shortly after the Wissahickon was brought into the park system. However, even while these structures were still standing, the valley was noted for its rustic beauty and was a favorite spot for excursions and picnics. This delightful engraving illustrates the pleasant image that the Wissahickon valley evoked then and still evokes today. The print was issued to accompany a short story by Charles J. Peterson, titled “The Pic Nic: A Story of the Wissahickon.”