Henry B. McIntire. [The Art Club, 220 South Broad Street corner of Chancellor - Philadelphia].
Ca. 1950. 12 1/2 x 10. Screen print. Very good condition.
This building was originally for the Art Club of Philadelphia and later the Keystone Club. Frank Miles Day's intention was to provide "a restrained and refined brick and stone study of the Venetian Middle Ages." (Finkel, Philadelphia Then and Now, p. 38.)
Henry B. McIntire was an architectural illustrator flourishing in Philadelphia in the 1950s. He was active in the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and prepared checklists of the historical prints in the collection (published in the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography in 1942) as well as a listing of holdings of the drawings and watercolors of David J. Kennedy. He published in a lithographic process that he called “aquatone” to produce new prints of historical subjects that resembled old lithographs. They are soft and lovely with an attention to historical detail.