Unattributed. “Plan of the Buildings at Bristol College on the Delaware. Bucks. Co. Penna.”
Most likely Published in Philadelphia, c. 1835. 10 15/16 x 18 11/16. Lithograph. Repaired tears and paper replacements in margins. Some soiling in margins. Good condition. A/A
An important and early American lithograph of about 1835. Bristol College, was an Episcopal college founded in 1833 by the Episcopal Education Society and chartered in 1834. It was based on the "manual labour system", combining education with agricultural work. The founding principal was Chauncey Colton, D.D. and Caleb Sprague Henry was professor of moral and intellectual philosophy. The college closed in 1837. The college was built on the banks of the Delaware River about three miles from Bristol. The White Hall of the college, built by Alexander Jackson Davis in Greek Revival style, is on the National Register of Historic Places. White Hall was used as a hospital during the Civil War, and from 1868 through the 1880s as an orphanage for the children of black soldiers.
This rendering shows the campus prior to final design as the main building with the wings on either side, White Hall, was built with a portico facing the river. The central portion of the main building was torn down but the wings still stand and were converted into apartments.