James Queen after ambrotypes by H.P. Osborn. “Allentown, Pa.”
Philadelphia, ca. 1855. 5 3/4 x 14 ¾ (image). Tinted lithograph with hand color, by P.S. Duval & Son. With old vertical folds. Some wear along folds, but otherwise, good condition. Rare. Not listed in Reps, Views and Viewmakers of Urban America. Framed.
A very rare, separately issued print of Allentown, “Situated on the Lehigh River at the junction of the East Pennsylvania and Lehigh Valley Rail Roads.” Allentown was laid out in 1762 by William Allen, chief justice of Pennsylvania, and was first known as Northampton. It was renamed Allentown in 1838 and is the seat of Lehigh County. The print was drawn by Philadelphia artist James Fuller Queen based on ambrotypes by H.P. Osborn. The prosperous city is shown from a field with cows and a horse grazing in the foreground. A railroad bridge is shown at right.