Franklin Survey Co. “Map of the Main Line and Eastern Delaware County Including a Portion of Chester County in Pennsylvania.”
Philadelphia: Franklin Survey Company, 1933. 19 ½ X 31 ½. Lithograph. With folds as originally issued. Several repairs along folds with archival tape and a few very small losses of map information filled and in-painted. Map is attached to the original cover. Else, very good condition.
A large folding map of eastern Delaware County including some areas of Chester County. The map extends from Phoenixville down to Ridley and from Lower Merion to Willistown townships. The map legend indicates golf courses, roads, trolley lines, railroads and political boundaries. Founded in 1928 by Lewis L. Amsterdam (1899-1991) on Race Street in Philadelphia, the Franklin Survey Company (later renamed “Franklin Maps” by Amsterdam’s son Andrew who relocated the firm to King of Prussia in 1986) was a publisher of real estate and advertising maps for locations all over the country. In 1943 Amsterdam bought Philadelphia’s G.M. Hopkins Co., which had published real estate atlases since 1865, and thus became the oldest producer of survey maps and atlases in the area.
We are reluctant to fold the map to ship in a smaller package due to repairs along folds.