Question about an antique print, map
[ Original or Reproduction? | Information? | Value? ]
or related book you own?
Most questions we get concern items owned by the questioner. We are happy to help where we can. However, we are a business with a small staff and there are limits, both practical and professional, as to the assistance we can offer. Please follow the links below to see if you can find the answer to your question before contacting us directly.
Original or Reproduction?
- Look for any printed information which indicates the print is a reproduction, e.g. "reproduced from" or a copyright notice, etc.
We love antique prints and maps and are delighted to share our enthusiasm and knowledge with those interested in these wonderful artifacts. However, as we are a small shop trying to stay in business, there are professional and practical limits on how much time we can spend offering free advice. Therefore, we have tried to set up as much on-line help as possible for those seeking information about antique prints, maps and related books. If you follow the links below, you may find the answers to your questions, so please try this before contacting us directly.
If you have looked on-line and still cannot find the answers you seek, you are welcome to contact us directly. We will answer every email query we get to the extent we can within professional limits. As we get hundreds of questions a month, it may take some time before we can respond. Please be patient.
If you want to write us, that is fine, but if you want us to reply, please include either your email address or a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Reference Library
- Our on-line reference library contains much information on antique prints and maps and is available for everyone's use.
- We have tried to include useful information about the items listed in our on-line gallery. If you can find similar items to those you have questions about, you might find your answers here.
- Our links page lists many sites filled with information on antique prints, maps and related books
You may send us an e-mail at PhilaPrint@PhilaPrintShop.com or contact us by phone, fax or mail. Please be as detailed and clear as you can when asking your question to avoid our having to write back for further information and so that we can answer your question to the point. Note: do not send digital images via e-mail unless requested to do so.
- If we have to do any research to provide an answer, we must charge for our time at a rate of $225 per hour. We are a small business and cannot afford to spend the time needed to do research without charging.
We are professional appraisers and therefore it is neither ethical nor fair to our paying clients to give out valuations with no charge.
Don is proud to have appeared regularly as an appraiser of prints and maps for more than 10 years on the Antiques Roadshow, but it is only at those events that he offered free appraisals. We are happy to offer appraisals at the shop, through the mail, or via email, but we must charge for these.
If you seek a value for your print/map/book, we offer:
- Look on-line
- If you browse our on-line gallery, you may be able to find similar items to that you are seeking a value for. Though issues of state, edition, condition, etc. do affect values, this method can provide a general ball-park value for the item in question.
- Appraisal Services
- We are happy to provide you with an appraisal of the item in question. We offer both formal appraisals at $225 per hour, one hour minimum; or less formal, "professional opinions of value" (e-mail appraisals) for $45. Please visit our appraisal page for more information.
To contact us; call, write, fax or e-mail to:
8441 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118 USA
(215) 242-4750 [Phone]
(215) 242-6977 [Fax]
©The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd., 2018