William Birch. "Second Street North from Market St. with Christ Church Philadelphia". From The City of Philadelphia . . .
Philadelphia: W. Birch, 1799-180. First edition. 18 1/4 x 20 1/2 (frame size). Engraving. Uncolored. Full margins. Printers wrinkle at top of image. Very good condition. Framed. Note: in the photo the darker area in the bottom mat is due to a shadow.
The project of producing this series was carried out entirely in Philadelphia, and while many other individuals had a role, including Birch's son Thomas who provided many of the original drawings, the prints were mostly the product of the efforts of William Birch. Not only did he conceive and plan the project, but he also drew many of the scenes. The first edition, published in 1800, included 27 plates engraved by S. Seymour, and it was a great success, its subscription list numbering 156, including Thomas Jefferson. This excellent view of Market Street captures the famed Christ Church built between 1727 and 1744. Both Washington and Franklin worshipped in the church. On the left, in the center of Market Street, is the Town Hall or Courthouse, built in 1707 and demolished in 1837. Its arcaded ground floor was the city's first permanent market.
Other prints by William Birch: