The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd.
Prints by Theo White
25% off Fine Art Prints through July 31, 2016
[ Philadelphia | Virginia | Appalachia | Southwest | Drawings ]
Theo Ballou White (1902-1978) was a prolific Philadelphia artist and architect born and trained in Philadelphia, who later worked in Norfolk, Virginia. His lithographs are very much of the urban school style of the 1930s and 1940s producing a number of interesting prints, mostly architectural, from Philadelphia and around the United States. His five primary works are:
- "Colonial Mansions of Fairmount Park."
- "Richmond, Twelve Lithographs of the City on the James."
- "Seven Lithographs of Old Churches in Virginia."
- A series of views of Williamsburg, VA
- Scenes of the American Southwest
We have a selection from all of these series, as well as some portfolio works. All of the works are of a quality that reflects White's background as an architect; his trained eye focuses our attention on interesting details of the buildings he so lovingly portrays. All of the prints are signed in pencil unless noted, all are uncolored, and all are in excellent condition except as noted.
- "Delaware Ave." 15 x 11 1/2. Titled and signed in pencil. Ed: 20. $375
- "Independence Hall." Lithograph signed in pencil and in the stone. On wove Zonen paper. Full sheet with deckle edge. 24 x 16. $250
- "St. Mark's in Locust St." 19 1/8 x 13 7/8. Titled and signed in pencil. $375
A Portfolio of Seven Lithographs of the Colonial Mansions of Fairmount Park by Theo B. White with an introduction by Fiske Kimball. (Narberth: Grasberger Galleries, 1933). "This edition is limited to one hundred and twenty portfolios of which one hundred and ten are for sale. Numbers one to eleven are printed on Japan paper and signed by the author. The number of this portfolio is '10'." Spotless, complete, and all original. One of eleven on Japan paper. All the plates are signed. $500
Individual lithographs from Colonial Mansions of Fairmount Park.
- "Belmont." 12 3/8 x 8 3/4. Titled and signed in pencil. $150
- "Cedar Grove." 12 1/4 x 8 5/8. Titled and signed in pencil. $150
- "Strawberry." 12 1/4 x 10. Titled and signed in pencil. [Illustrated above] JT $150
- "Sweetbrier." 12 x 8 3/4. Titled and signed in pencil. $150
- "Woodford." 12 3/8 x 8 3/4. Titled and signed in pencil. $150
Richmond: Twelve Lithographs of the City on the James. Richmond: Garrett and Massie, Inc., 1934. "This edition consists of four hundred and fifty copies." The set: $800
Individual lithographs from the Richmond portfolio.
Seven Lithographs of Old Churches in Virginia. Narberth: Grasberger Galleries, n.d.. Seven loose matted lithographs, as issued, in original portfolio binding. Excellent condition. All plates are signed and titled in pencil. The set: $550
Individual lithographs from churches of Virginia portfolio
Charcoal drawings, except as noted. All are signed and dated. Matted by estate. All are on thin stock paper and in very good condition.
- "A Bit of Latimer St." 1933. 8 3/4 x 6 1/4. Original pencil drawing for White etching. Titled, signed, dated and inscribed, "To Annie, Christmas, 1933," in pencil. With old hinges on verso. $400
- "Negro Balconies." 8 x 11 3/4. $450
- "Valentine House." 12 x 7 7/8. $450
- [Reed's Creek, West Virginia.] 11 x 16. Signed titled and dated in wax pencil "Reed's Creek- W. Va, July 10- 32 Theo B. White." $300
- [Waterfall and pool.] 11 x 15. Signed in pencil "Theo B. White." $300
- "Willow Tree." 10 3/4 x 14 1/2. Signed in wax pencil "Willow Tree Roaring Creek" and "Theo White." Written in pencil "original drawing" in lower right. $300
Go to American fine art prints
For more information call, write, fax or e-mail to:
8441 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118
(215) 242-4750 [Phone]
(215) 242-6977 [Fax]
©The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd. Last updated July 2, 2016