Pate's Gallery of Landscape Painters - American Scenery
Other view pages
[ Location Index | Subject Index | Artists ]
Steel engravings after American landscape paintings. From the portfolio Gallery of Landscape Painters--American Scenery. New York: G.P. Putnam & Sons, 1872. Ca. 8 3/4 x 12 1/2. Full margins. Uncolored as issued. Fine condition.
The process of steel engraving first made its impact with the small, octavo topographical engravings that appeared in such works as Willis' American Scenery and Hinton's History and Topography, both issued in the first half of the nineteenth century. By the second half of the century, some publishers used this medium to produce more elaborate topographical prints, and amongst the best series of this sort was William Pate's American Scenery. This large portfolio contained medium folio sized steel engravings by various American engravers after the paintings of a number of famous American landscape artists. Not only were the sources of top quality, but the engraving work is excellent, making these some of the finest steel engraved views ever produced.
- George L. Brown. "On the Pemigewassett, [at West Campton, N.H.]." 9 1/2 x 13 1/4. Engraved by S. A. Schoff. $325
- James M. Hart. "On the Housatonic. [near Stockbridge, Mass.]." 9 x 12 3/4. Engraved by Robert Hinshelwood. $375
- R.W. Hubbard. "Lake Champlain, from St. Albans, VT" 81/4 x 13. Engraved by Wellstood. $325
- William Hart. "Croton Point, on the Hudson." (Westchester County). 1/2 x 13 3/4. Engraved by R. Dudensing. $325
- W. Whitteredge. "On the Meadows, Orange Co. N.Y." 9 3/8 x 14. Engraved by C. Rost. $325
- George Innes. "Near Leeds, Greene Co. N.Y. Looking Towards the Catskills." 8 7/8 x 13 3/4. Engraved by Robert Hinshelwood. $325
- George Smillie. "On the Susquehanna [near Great Bend, N.Y.]." 8 x 13 3/4. Engraved by James D. Smillie. Hand color. $325
- John Frederick Kensett. "Trenton Falls, N.Y." 11 3/4 x 9 3/4. Engraved by Robert Hinshelwood. $325
- William Momberger. "Niagara Falls." 9 x 13 1/2 (vignette). Engraved by Robert Hinshelwood. $350
- William Momberger. "Sugar Loaf Mountain, Winona, Min." (near Minneapolis/St Paul). 8 1/2 x 12 3/4 (vignette). Engraved by V. Balch. $325
- William Momberger. "The Upper Mississippi. Near Lansing Iowa." 9 3/4 x 13 1/2 (vignette). Engraved by Robert Hinshelwood. Hand colored. $325
None currently available.
To Contact us, call, write, fax or e-mail to:
8441 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118 USA
(215) 242-4750 [Phone]
(215) 242-6977 [Fax]
©The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd. Last updated April 9, 2015