|Selection of views|
|Views by Braun & Hogenberg|
|18th Century views of European Cities|
|Perspective Views or Vues D'Optique|
|Views of Rome by Piranesi|
|Architectural Details by Domenico de Rossi|
|Architectural Details by Jean François de Neufforge|
|Views of the British Isles|
|Views of Russia|
Selection of European Views
Hartmann Schedel. From an edition of the Nuremberg Chronicle. Nuremberg, Nuremberg Chronicle, 1493. 15 x 10 1/4 (full sheet). Woodcuts. Overall fine condition. Latin text and on verso.
Hartmann Schedel's Weltchronik, usually referred to as the Nuremberg Chronicle, was printed by Anton Koberger in Latin and German editions beginning in 1493. Two artists, Michel Wolgemut and Wilhelm Pleydenwurff provided illustrations which were reproduced by many anonymous wood block cutters. The first edition of the book contained 645 woodcuts, and over time, subsequent editions had as many as 1,809. These illustrations of places were more representational than accurate, but among the earliest of their kind.
"Sneecha. vulgo Sneeck Frisiæ Occidentalis Oppidum"/ "Sloten"/ "Doccum"/ "Ylstæ." Volume IV, 1588. Original hand color. 13 3/4 x 16 1/4. Minor repaired tears at edges. Latin text on verso.
Plans of these four small Dutch towns appear in separate panels, along with two Dutch couples in local dress.
Braun and Hogenberg's Civitates Orbis Terrarum is one of the most important works from the early days of modern cartography and topographical illustration. Georg Braun, the editor, and Frans Hogenberg, the engraver, worked for over twenty years to produce their "towns of the world," the first systematic depiction of views of cities throughout the world. This impressive production, issued in six volumes from 1572 to 1617, was a monumental piece of Renaissance learning and was designed to complement Ortelius' Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, the first modern atlas. These two atlases, both firsts of their type, were in response to a new interest in the nature of the world by the Western European population. This nascent interest was spurred both by the existence of a growing middle class and the relatively new general availability of printed books. $650
Go to page with other views by Braun & Hogenberg
Friedrich Berhard Werner. "Rysesel s. Lille." Germany: Martin Engelbrecht, 1730-40. ["Cum Priv. S.C. Maj."] Engraving by Johann Georg Ringlin. Ca. 7 x 12, with German text below. Margined at top and bottom to make uniform size for binding. Very good condition.
One of a series of wonderful eighteenth century German prints after drawings by Friedrich Berhard Werner (1690-1778). Werner was an artist and an engraver who had studied in Breslau and travelled throughout Europe. Johann Georg Ringlin (or Ringle) was from Augsburg and lived from 1691 to 1761. The publisher, Martin Engelbrecht (1684-1756) was also from Augsburg and is listed in Benezit as the illustrater for P. Decker's Les Architectes princiers. These prints are very rare and the quality of them is excellent, with clear and detailed information, including numbered keys to the major sites in the cities depicted. The images are embellished with elaborate cartouches and vignettes of natives in the foreground. This image of Lille is typical of the series. $275
Go to page with other views by Werner
"Hoogduitsche Jooden Kerk te Amsterdam." 7 x 9 7/8. 18th century etching with hand color. Very good condition.
This print, of unknown creator/s, shows the location of worship space of the "High German," or Ashkenazi, Jews in Amsterdam. The building with the dome is known as the New Synagogue, completed in 1752. A small structure joins it to the Great Synagogue, completed in 1671.
These two, and two buildings behind them, now compose the Jewish Museum of Amsterdam. They are located on the square originally called the 'Deventer Houtmarkt,' but which since the nineteenth century - except during the Nazi occupation - has been called the Jonas Daniel Meijer Square, honoring Meijer (1780-1834) the first Jewish lawyer in the Netherlands. $225
"A View of the Villages of Loenen & Croonenburg, from Nieuwerhock." London: Bowles & Carver. Engraving. 9 x 13 1/2. Very good condition.
The firm of Bowles & Carver flourished in London from 1793 until 1832. Upon the death of Carington Bowles (1724-1793), his firm was taken over by his son Henry Carington Bowles (1763-1830). Bowles and (Samuel) Carver published prints and maps from old copper plates and disseminated them throughout the world. That they were targeting multinational markets is evident by the use of two or more languages in the text of the prints they chose to publish. The gracefulness of the lines on these landscapes shows a marked improvement on the primitive vues d'optique that were published in France and Germany in earlier decades. $125
"Messrs. Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co.'s Brewery." London: J. Moore, March 1, 1842. 17 7/8 x 23 7/8. Aquatint. Original hand color. Very good condition.
The Truman, Hanbury & Buxton & Co. brewery in Spitalfields (also known as the Black Eagle Brewery) is one of the oldest in London, begun by Thomas Bucknall in 1669. This is an image looking down Brick Lane with the brewery buildings, the earliest of which date to the early 18th century, on both sides, including the clock house on the right. The brewery expanded until it became the largest in London and the second largest in Great Britain. Of note is the fact that Mrs. Micawber, in David Copperfield, makes mention of the firm of Truman, Hanbury, & Buxton. This print, dedicated to the partners, was published by J. Moore, printseller to H.R. H. the Duke of Orleans, "at his Wholesale Looking Glass and Picture Frame Manufactory" on St. Martins Lane. It shows a busy scene on Brick Lane, with draymen, vendors, brewers, and with a locomotive crossing a bridge in the distance. A rare and wonderful print. $1,200
Go to page with more views of the British Isles
Pairs of lithographic images, printed and hand colored on each side of a single sheet of paper, intended to present contrasting views, usually of the same place in both day and night. Occasionally, a different scene would be represented in the evening view. These prints would have been a novelty in the mid-nineteenth century. They could be retained in a portfolio or framed with glass on both sides.
Félix Benoist. Pl. 72. "Paris sous François Ier. Vue générale à vol d'oiseau d'après les anciens plans et dessins." From Audiganne et al.'s Paris dans sa Splendeur. Documents, vues, scènes historiques, descriptions et histoires. Paris: Charpentier, 1861-3. 10 x 15. Lithotint by Besnoist. Very good condition.
A handsome lithotinted bird's eye view of Paris during the reign of Francis the First. The fortified city is well documented, with bridges crossing the Seine, connecting the Île de la Citeacute;, with the Catheral of Notre Dame clearly visible, to both banks. Charming and highly detailed. $225
"Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, Bevis Marks, London." London: Raphael Tuck & Sons, Ltd., 1901. Lithograph. 6 5/8 x 8, mounted as an invitation on card stock 12 x 14 1/2. Surface soiling, with some repaired marginal tears in card. Else, good condition.
This image of the Bevis Marks Sephardic synagogue's interior is mounted on a large card used as an invitation from the "Wardens and Committee" to the recipient/s - in this instance "Dr. & Mrs. Friedlander" - to be present "at the Special Service to be held on Wednesday the 9th Tamuz 26th June, 1901, at 4 p.m. precisely, to celebrate the Bicentenary of the Synagogue." The Wardens were Sir Edward Sassoon, Bart, M.P., Joseph de Castro, Isaac Genese, Edmund Sebag Montefiore and Gabriel Lindo, President. The Committee comprised A. Lindo Henry, Judah D. Israel, Harry J. Montefiore, Dr. David Nabarro and D. Anidjar Romain. The Secretary was Samuel I. Cohen.
In the 17th century, Marranos, Spanish and Portuguese Jews who were outwardly Christian but secretly Jews, lived in England. After they were permitted to be openly Jewish they founded this synagogue in 1701 with assistance from the Sephardic synagogue in Amsterdam. It is the oldest synagogue in England.
In October, 1866, Raphael Tuck, a Jew, and his wife Ernestine, opened a small shop selling pictures and frames. The Tucks had three daughters and four sons; with three of the sons - Herman, Adolph and Gustave - joining the business, it eventually grew into a large printing and publishing house, with offices in London, Paris, New York, Montreal, Berlin, Bombay, Buenos Aires and Cape Town. The Tuck company produced all kinds of books, greeting cards, stationery, calendars and the like. $400
To Contact us, call, write, fax or e-mail to:
8441 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118 USA
(215) 242-4750 [Phone]
(215) 242-6977 [Fax]
©The Philadelphia Print Shop, Ltd. Last updated December 14, 2016